Friday 29 June 2012

Weekword: scent

Weekword this week is hosted by Emma. When I saw her post about scent I felt inspired, so thought I'd join in!

Scent to me can be like instant time travel. The smells of raspberries can take me right back to my childhood, picking raspberries is my mum's garden. She had this wonderful raspberry hedge.

Also perfume, when I wear Cacharel's Lou Lou, I feel 15 again. I loved it and saved and saved until I could buy a bottle.

Then there's jasmine. Jasmine isn't time travel to me, but actual travel. All of a sudden I'm in Indonesia again, drinking jasmine tea. You'll find the Indonesian jasmine (melati) growing everywhere in the country, and you can buy jasmine iced tea (teh botol) on every street corner. We must have drunk litres of it when we were there!
The first time I drank teh botol was with my dad, as we used to visit the yearly Indonesian fair in Den Haag. I was so impressed with the taste and scent of it, that when I got to Indonesia 20 years later it was one of the first things I sought to taste. Wonderful, I might go and make some now actually as I still have some of the tea stashed away...


4 comments:

  1. What a lovely, evocative post. Thank you, and enjoy your tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely reply, the tea smells wonderful!

      Delete
  2. Lovely! I used to wear LouLou too. Most girls in my school went for Anais Anais, but I went for LouLou instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes Anais Anais was something my mum used to wear, and a friend of hers too. I thought it was for old ladies, although with hindsight they were in their forties then.

      Delete